Sunday, March 14, 2010

Everywhere a chick chick!






One of the highlights of my family time growing up was going to Angelo's Pizza Parlor for family dinners. With quarters ready we would play Ms. PacMan and try our luck getting a prize from The Chicken Machine-Lucky Eggs. I was always thrilled with my $.25 item from China (or maybe still the US back in those days). But I must say that my heart is filled with pure joy as I have spent the past three days helping Owen nurture new life up on Walton Mountain. Andrew and I have both felt like kids again, celebrating the simple joy of a new life. Baby chickens are the cutest things! Even when they poop on your hand. I would have been grossed out by that years ago, but after a baby and taking care of three dogs, poop doesn't bother me so much! Owen is the proud papa of four Golden Sex Links (all females, 2 weeks old) Miley, Herme, Rainbow and Flower. Then we have 4 day old Fluffy (name fits and he/she is feisty) and Bingo our Black Silkie Bantam. Owen knows this drill, wash hands, snuggle, check water and food, snuggle, no kisses and wash hands again. It has been a great indoor activity as he has been so sick this week! The chicks temporary home is the downstairs bathroom, heated and actually a great place to be given our frigid weather! Feels a little like Hawaii! I love that Andrew and I can provide this experience to Owen and to each other. Thanks A & L Feed for making it a fun morning for Owen and Daddy!
We did a little bit of planting this weekend. More chard and lettuce starts and the first direct sows of the year. Radishes, two types of beets and more spinach. I have gotten some great seeds from the COOP and I am sure that I will be ordering from seed catalogs next winter!
I was turned onto a great magazine. Mary Janes Farm (yes I love the shoe reference as well)! It is the everyday organic lifestyle magazine printed on recycle paper. Recipes, articles on gardening, homemade tips and journal entries/writings from other women. Time to read some more articles before the next week begins.

2 comments:

  1. Owen will learn to care for his chickens and ducks so well...he has such a nurturing spirit. I loved being able to skype and see his lovely new babies.
    Keep the issue of Simple Life coming, I am an avid follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip on the magazine, I'll have to check that one out! Those chicks and your little guy are so so cute!

    ReplyDelete